ProphpBB Support Forum

Official ProphpBB Support Forum. PhpBB 3 Free Hosting Service.
It is currently March 23rd, 2017, 2:11 am

Support ProphpBB for $5/mo and upgrade your forum. Get attachments, backups, run your own ads, etc. Learn more.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 1:43 am 
Regular
Regular

Customer Support,

I am interested in setting up a forum on my Blogger hosted blog using my custom domain. I understand that this can now be done with ProPHPBB. Your company is supported through forum ads, however, if the domain is mine & not yours, how will you recieve credit for the ad clicks? It is crucial to my site to keep my visitors within my domain which is why I need a forum withing my domain yet hosted on another server as Blogger only hosts the blog & images. Can I accomplish what I desire with your forum? Thanks!

Alan

You can even put ads right here. And add your own styling.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 8:35 am 
Maintenance Man
Maintenance Man

Forum URL: https://support.prophpbb.com/
As long as you can create a subdomain (for your forum, like forums.yourblogurl.com ) and have control of it's A-Record, you can use our service on that domain. At ad revenue issue isn't a concern.

[Please don't PM (private message) me for support. Questions are best asked in a forum topic.]

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 10:25 am 
Regular
Regular

Thank you for your prompt reply! I can create a sub-domain & have easy access to change my A records. Would you still have ads listed? So that I may better understand the process, could you explain how the sub-domain would function in regards to your company being able to receive or not receive ad click credit. I just want to understand how the whole sub-domain process works. I think I do, but if your saying that somehow adsense, for example, would know that the ads are yours & not mine, then I don't think I do understand the process. Forgive me, I do not mean to pry.

Are you familiar with Blogger based blogs? They only host the blog & images & since there is not an actual website, I can only create static pages therefore I don't believe I can create a frame page within my blog template for the forum. Visitors would actually need to be taken to the forum hosted on your server but still stay within my domain, at least as far as the search engine spiders are concerned.

I hope my goal is clear & forgive the long, detailed post. Just trying to fully understand & be certain this forum will give me what I need. Thanks again!

Alan

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 10:38 am 
Maintenance Man
Maintenance Man

You'll need to make a subdomain, for example, forums.yourblogdomain.com - and assign it's a-record to point to our server as discussed earlier. This will be transparent to your visitors. As far as advertising is concerned, we have quite a few domains hosted and it's not an issue. There will eventually be advertisement used to support our service, however they aren't affected by the forum's web address.

We don't like frames, and would suggest against it. It's best to let the visitors see the actual web address they're viewing, especially in regards to "search engines."

If the service is not what you expect after setting up the a-record, you're certainly welcome to remove it. You are under no obligation whatsoever, our service is free to use and free to cancel at any time.

[Please don't PM (private message) me for support. Questions are best asked in a forum topic.]

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 8:36 pm 
Regular
Regular

Thank you so much for your prompt responses. Your service is exceptional! I think I'll give it a shot. What sort of server system, set-up, etc. are you using? Are they down or overloaded much?

Thanks again!

Alan

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 8:45 pm 
Regular
Regular

ps- what is the server address I need to point to?

Alan

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 9:39 pm 
Regular
Regular

By the way...do you have a name? I think I may need a hand with this set-up. I am a bit short on knowledge in regards to DNS, A name, CNAME, etc. I can sign in to my domain host & change the aforementioned....I am just not sure exactly what to change or add & to where, in regards to sub-domains. I set up the A records but am unfamiliar w/ how to set-up subs. Do I also need to somehow modify my Blogger account...if at all possible? Enom hosts my domain. I purchased my domain through Google who resells for Enom. Blogger is owned by Google so....all of my settings point to Google servers. I hope you can help....you may save me 3 or 20 hours of trying to figure it all out. Thanks!

Alan

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 11:49 pm 
Superstar Contributer
Superstar Contributer

Forum URL: http://www.onesforum.net
There's a few of us, Alan, who would be willing to help you out. All of the staff (green members), Myself, and others (I don't want to volunteer them) would like helping you.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2009, 11:58 pm 
Regular
Regular

Thanks....I'm ready & waiting...

Alan

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 1:17 am 
Maintenance Man
Maintenance Man

If you look around the forum you'll find that most all of your questions have probably been answered.

Setting up the a-record: topic133.html
Server uptime and response: http://www.pingdom.com/reports/2lfcon7b ... e=ProphpBB

The a-record I simply don't have time to help you with, though it shouldn't be to hard to figure out once you read the tutorial.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 1:24 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi....if I do what the tutorial says, I will be pointing my entire blog to your servers....no? I need to maintain my Google A records. I thought there was a way to create a subdomain in which this forum will function in addition to my domain which needs to be on Google/Blogger servers.

Alan

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 12:29 pm 
Maintenance Man
Maintenance Man

You should create a subdomain, and point that subdomain's A-RECORD for us to host it.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 11:10 pm 
Regular
Regular

Ok...I am learning about how to create a subdomaim. I think I get it, but should be getting a little help to be sure. I believe I need you make some changes on your side, no? I do not believe that I can change my forum name to forum.happinesshelp.org. Can you please make the change for me?

Thanks, Alan

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 11:35 pm 
Maintenance Man
Maintenance Man

Read the links posted a few replies back, it shows you how to check to make sure you did it right. Your subdomain, when you go to it, should be fowarded to the ProphpBB website. Once that happens, we can make it work.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 11:45 pm 
Regular
Regular

ok...by the way...anything we can do with the UTC times displayed in the forum? Changing to Eastern Standard in the Board Settings doesn't see to do it.

Alan

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next